Family Day Care Cairns is committed to sustainable practices in the the Educator home and at the scheme level. Some of our practices include:
- Using Recycled items such as cardboard, plastic lids and containers and catalogs, wherever possible.
- Using Natural items like leaves, seeds, sticks, mud and sand.
- Reduce the amount of disposable plastics used in the environment. We do this by encouraging families to send food in re-useable containers. We reuse plastic bags and containers. Wherever possible we source items that are packaged in recycled or recyclable packaging materials.
- Reduce the amount of water used by encouraging children to understand the importance of water and when finished with, reuse the water in the gardens.
- Produce our own food sources such as herbs, vegetables and fruits where possible.
- Learn about our waterways, and the effects on the community, the environment and the Great Barrier Reef.
- Value energy as a resource by turning off lights, fans and electronic equipment when not in use. Use renewable sources of energy such as solar.
- Recycle food scraps to worm farms or composts and educate the children in the natural cycle of decomposing and the benefits that this has to the environment.
- Land care such as planting and maintaining a natural environment.
- Using paper and cardboard in the gardens as mulch and compost, as well as bedding for our worm farms.
- Cans and plastics are recycled within the office as well. Our curriculum for children includes sustainable practices education inclusive of practices such as the above. Outings and Excursions may be planned to support this as an educational practice at an appropriate level for each child.
To help our educators to assist the children and their families on their sustainability journey, we have teamed up with Sustainable Directions to deliver training and education.